Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Questions.

The Questions ©

A sound of screaming, brings me back to conscience. I shake my head to get rid of the haze. Opening my eyes, a blur keeps me from seeing well. Feeling a heaviness on my arms and chest, not being able to move. I don’t know what has happened. I remember was driving down a dirt road, to drop off my girlfriend. I saw something, some kind of animal I guess. What ever it was, jumped in front of me, I swerved on instinct. The last thing I remember was the car flying through the air, spinning from in circles. The screams  I still hear filling my head, For some reason I don’t feel anything broken, No pain at all actually, I pull my arm out from what is laying on me, Rubbing my eyes, they begin to sting. When I open my eyes everything is a reddish tint. Looking I see blood all over my hand and arm. Hearing the screams of terror, I panic. I need to find out what is going on.

I look down to my chest and see someone is on top me. I yell and start to squirm out from under the body. Struggling to get free, my head is full of confusion.  After freeing myself I crawl away quickly. Hiding behind a tree. I look back at the body and am puzzled as to what is going on. Close screams are piercing my ears, adding to my confusion.  My body feels so weird, I feel numb. The night is a scalding temperature, well over 100. Yet I am not hot! I don’t even feel warm, I am not sweating, How can this be? Am I in shock? It is all so confusing. What has happened? Where am I?  What is wrong with me? I want to find out the answers. So I can put all of this together.

I look from behind the tree and see the body that was on top me has moved slightly. There is a chance the person is alive, If I can help in any way, I will. Feeling weak, hearing my stomach churn. How the hell can I be hungry at a time like this? I sneak over to the body, nudging the person I hear a faint moan. Rolling the body over I swallow hard. Its Amy, my love. So much blood I didn’t even recognize her. Quickly I lift her shoulders and hold her. She is trying to whisper, but what she is saying makes no sense. Blood slowly runs down her hair line, over her temple, to her cheek and then neck. I try to stop the bleeding but she wont let me. The more I try to help her, the more she tries to talk, rubbing her blood on my face, Why is she doing this? I just want to help her. Loosing Amy is not an option. We have been together for years. She is the love of my life. If she dies, I will loose the best part of my life. Amy has covered my face in blood and wont let me work on her wounds. Its not like her to act this way. She seems to be forcing herself to give up.

 Anger takes over and I force her to let me cover her wounds. It is then I find that there is not much I can do to help her. The injuries are to vast and to many to stop all the bleeding. The more blood she looses the weaker she becomes. Holding her is the only way I can comfort my love. The scent of her blood is so strong, I can feel my shirt and pant soaked form her blood. At first the thought of her bleeding to death made me sick. I am being strong for the both of us. The blood doesn’t smell quite as bad and I feel a strange calm over take my body. I feel the urge to eat, I can’t define what it is. Why would I feel like eating while I am holding my love. Ignoring the feeling I can feel my body begin to weaken, My head starts spinning, I become dizzy, I feel myself slowly passing out as I lean into Amy.

Waking I find myself collapsed over Amy, She is lifeless. No pulse, she has gotten cold and pale. I reach for my cell to call for help, It is smashed into pieces on a rock near her body.  Her purse is missing so I cant use her cell. Maybe we were mugged. I don’t have my ID or any money. It gets more confusing. Moving my precious Amy to the woodland where I hid. It seems safe and will be less likely someone will do anything to her body. I can cover her body until I can find help. Covering her body slowly with branches and leaves, carefully arranging all the cover gracefully, I lean down and give her one last kiss.  Covering her face carefully, saying a small prayer for her. Her blood is now stale and rancid to even smell. Wiping my face and mouth, trying to clean up the best I can. The blood has dried on me and there is not much to do until I find a place to wash and clean up.

I leave her body and try not looking back, it is the hardest thing I have ever dealt with. Leaving her all alone like this is a horrible thing to do, I really have no other choice. It breaks my heart knowing she dead. If I would have swerved the other way, Maybe she would have lived and everything would have been just wonderful. I will never forgive myself. The only thing I know for sure is that I have such a lonely, empty feeling inside me. I have to put all feeling I have on hold and find some help to bring for her.

Moving down the woodland edge, I try to sneak my way thru the shadows. Heading as far away from the screams and moans as I can. I am no hero, it will be safer to move as far away from the horrible noises. All I would like to just hide until the noises leave but I can not, Felling the drive to find out what the hell has happened. Running as fast as I can, It seems I am stronger and faster. Maybe the black out was what I needed to get my strength back. Thinking more clearly I head cautiously toward the dim pulse of light. As I move closer I slow my pace. I become scared and slow to a crawl, not knowing what the light is or who is using the light. Everything seems so different, as if something evil is lurking. As I look to my left I find a rode to the side of me. Moving through the brush I get closer to it. I am hoping to hide until I see a car or truck coming and stop them for help.

Hiding and waiting by the road for what seemed hours, I see no traffic. Wondering what time it may be, This road looks like a main road, you would think traffic would be flowing back and forth.  Nothing makes sense anymore. Deciding it is a waist of time I start moving towards the dim light as cautious as possible. When I get closer I see a clearing with a huge grassy dirt mound. The land marks are familiar, I may be wrong, coming from the woodlands my judgment may be a little confused. The dirt mound may be the one at Graystones Store, I wont be sure until I see the other side. If it is the mound by the store, I will know exactly where I am. I like the Graystones, such a lovely old couple. Always smiling and telling stories of their younger days. The store had better days,  it’s a small mom and pop general store. It is old with creaking wood floors, beams  and slats for the ceiling and stained walls from years of smoke. They were over priced and out dated for years, but everyone loved them and everyone went there to keep them in business.

Making my way to the dirt hill I see the flickering light.  It seems to be getting weaker, I hope they are ok and are having one of there famous  bon fires. I could use their phone to call for help. Maybe they could tell me what is going on. As I sneak around the back of the hill my hopes of help fall to nothingness, I see what is left of Graystones store. It must of caught fire much earlier, there is nothing left but a partial floor and burnt smoldering walls. The smell old burnt wood and plaster. What happened to the store?  Why didn’t the fire dept put it out before it burned this badly? I see the owners car here, I hope they weren’t inside when the fire started. I walk closer looking around I see so many old memories burnt and ruined. Photos and old vinyl records, burnt and melted Still finding no answers to any of my questions. Going to the car in the back, I look and it is locked. I sit behind it to try and piece together what has happened since the accident.

End Part 1

©

No comments:

Post a Comment